Cedar Creek Publishing
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Virginia Literary Journal - #4
(Web-based Publication: http://www.virginialiteraryjournal.com)
SUBMISSIONS OPEN: APRIL 1 - JULY 31 for Virginia Writers, Photographers & Artists!
You are invited to contribute your works of poetry, flash fiction, short stories, creative nonfiction, photography or illustrations with a Virginia setting or theme. Selections will be announced by October.
POETRY (<50 lines)
FLASH FICTION (<1000 words)
SHORT STORY or UNPUBLISHED NOVEL EXCERPT (1000 - 3500 words)
CREATIVE NONFICTION (1000 – 3500 words)
B&W or COLOR PHOTOGRAPHY (vertical format, high resolution, 300 dpi, JPG only)
B&W or COLOR PAINTINGS/SKETCHES (vertical format, scanned high resolution, 300 dpi, JPG only)
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: Must be a resident of Virginia. Submission(s) must have a Virginia setting or theme. Not previously published in any format. Not a contest winning piece.
Fiction/Creative Nonfiction - one submission per category (only one eligible for selection)
Poetry – up to three poems (up to two eligible for selection)
Photography, Drawings, Sketches – up to three images
SELECTION PROCESS: When we read your piece, we want to experience a strong sense of place – of Virginia. You will be notified by October if your work is accepted or not.
If selected and notified for publication and the piece has not been withdrawn, you agree to allow the Virginia Literary Journal to publish the piece online, in its web-based publication, as well as in a possible, future print anthology. Photographers/artists additionally agree to allow accepted images to be used for promoting the publication issue. Please refrain having accepted submissions published in another publication or other method until AFTER it has first appeared in the Virginia Literary Journal. Include the following statement with subsequent uses of the work: "First published in the Virginia Literary Journal [issue number or publication year]" - exception permitted for unpublished novel excerpts.
We will attempt to make a balanced selection from writers, photographers, and illustrators across the Commonwealth, however, the quality of the submission will be the first consideration.
- WRITERS -- The only identifying information to include at the beginning of each submission is the CATEGORY, TITLE, WORD/LINE COUNT, and YOUR CITY AND/OR COUNTY of residence.
- PHOTOGRAPHERS/ARTISTS -- Identify, if applicable, the location of your Virginia image in the Description section of the submission form. Where applicable, a condition of final selection on images will be verification of permissions.
- Text files accepted: .doc, .docx, and .txt.
- Image files accepted: Vertical format, JPG only, 300 dpi
- Double-space fiction and nonfiction submissions; poetry single-spaced.
- Submissions exceeding word/line count or with your name identified on the document or file name will not be considered. (Submittable.com keeps your contact information linked to your submission but hides it from our editors. All submissions will be "blind reviewed" by our team of editors.)
SIMULTANEOUS SUBMISSIONS are OK with written works as long as you let us know what has been submitted to another publisher. If one of your submissions is accepted by another publisher, PLEASE withdraw your submission by the scheduled close date.
If you have any questions or comments, e-mail Cedar Creek Publishing. To learn more about our company, visit www.cedarcreekauthors.com.